Monday, March 23, 2009

How can you be so cruel?

"How can you be so cruel?" This is a statement that I hear more times than not when people stop to look at my Siberian Husky. You see, I live in southern Florida. I also love the Siberian Husky breed. I own two. One I got from a pet store. The other one is an adopted husky. I also volunteer for the South Florida Siberian Husky Rescue Inc.



What most people do not realize is that Siberian Huskies have an undercoat. This undercoat is a white, soft fur that insulates them. This is the primary reason they are able to withstand the extreme cold of Siberia and Alaska. Their coarse protective fur lay on top of this undercoat creating a layer affect. This insulation works both ways however. Not only does it protect them from the cold, but it also protects them from the heat.



Wolf, my male husky can be often seen sunbathing. There has been many a time that I had to call him in from outside after he has spent more than a half hour basking in the sun.

The key is, if you feel it is too hot outside for you, then it is probably too hot for your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment